Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Due South

Good things come in small portions. They are truly precious, and rare. Same with this show, Why did this have to end? I wonder as do a lot of reviewers on Imdb. 

I remember watching this many, many years ago, waiting each week for it to come on air. I loved it. And yesterday I tried to watch it again and saw that I still loved it. It still has the charm to entertain a cynic like me, or maybe it's just nostalgia. Whatever the reason, this is probably one of the the first and the best buddy cop shows ever (in my humble opinion). 

It came a bit after the Buddy Cop genre was truly established with Lethal Weapon, and before Rush Hour, Bad boys, etc.

The USP here were the characters. Both the cops and the situations they found themselves in were 'different'. A Canadian Mountie, the perfect, rule abiding gentleman cop partnered with a fast talking, lying, rule bending US cop. What could be better than the contrast. 

The character of the Canadian Mountie reminded me of the recent John Reid character in The Lone Ranger. But while John Reid comes across as a bit irritating the Mountie (Paul Gross) was highly loveable and not gross at all.

The story basically in one line is - A Canadian Mounted police officer's father (also an officer) is killed in Canada by American hunters. No one is interested in solving the case as it's a cross border crime. So the son seeks transfer as a Canadian liaison to US where he is partnered with a US cop. and entertainment magic happens.

Created by Paul Haggis who went on to win Oscars (first screenwriter to write two Best Film Oscar winners back-to-back!), this is a must check out in my list.

Due South



            

No comments:

Post a Comment